Small Jewelry Business Marketing

Marketing Jewelry When You Aren’t Tiffany’s
February 12th
1:08pm

                        Within most product markets there are large and small firms. For the jewelry industry there are names like Tiffany and Cartier, but there are also smaller brands like Homegrown Jewelry. There is a huge difference in the size, target market, and a lot of other factors of these businesses which is why it makes sense that you have to use different marketing tactics for each. In today’s post I’m going to show you how I, and other small artisans, market in a world of Tiffanys.
            Jewelry can be classified under the “Personal Needs” segment of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. This means that people often buy jewelry for status or prestige reasons. With a larger brand there is more prestige behind their company. Tiffany has developed a signature light blue box that holds almost as much prestige as the jewelry in it. They also have been shown in various movies such as Breakfast at Tiffany’s and Sweet Home Alabama. It is hard to get that type of exposure for a smaller business, however you can still create signature elements of your company that will build brand loyalty.
            Brand loyalty is very important for small businesses because
you have a smaller customer reach. It is important that your customers want to not only come back for more but also tell all of their friends about your business! Over the past couple of years, I’ve realized that customer relationships are the most important aspect of a business, besides your actual product. Because of the relationships I created with customers early on in my career, I now have loyal customers who support me along my journey. I have chosen to focus on relationship marketing, adding handwritten letters to each order, engaging with customers during shows, and checking in regularly with previous customers. This personal connection has created loyal customers that think of me when they need or want jewelry.
            While personal relationships are a very effective marketing method for in-person shows, e-marketplaces have completely changed the way I market my products. I currently sell my jewelry on Etsy.com, a website for handmade products to be sold in a “marketplace.” Because I
now have an online store, I need to market online as well. Social media has had a huge impact on the way I market.
                    Social media allows me to keep my followers up to date with that I am doing, new products, and events I attend. This then helps drive people to my Etsy shop. Social media profiles are very important because they are an extremely accessible way for consumers to see my products and what my brand stands for. It also strengthens the personal relationship I have with customers because they are able to get a behind the scenes look at what my life is like, attending college and running my business. I love being able to take my customers with me as I learn and grow my business, through all of the ups and downs.

            

Sources:
Tiffany's Boxes/Jewelry: http://www.thediamondauthority.org/purchasing-tiffany-co-jewelery/ 
SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jewelry: Not Just For Princesses

Where It All Started and Who I Am

Use Your Resources